1. Open to all string players (Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Classical Guitar or Harp) who take private lessons.
2. Two divisions:
a. Junior, age 12-14 as of the date of the competition
b. Senior, age 15-18 as of the date of the competition
3. Each division will have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize as well as an honorable mention.
4. The final round will be presented as a formal recital free and open to the public.
5. Formal attire is required for the final round.
6. All musical selections must be memorized in both divisions.
1st Prize: $1500
2nd Prize: $750
3rd Prize: $250
1st Prize: $500
2nd Prize: $250
3rd Prize: $100
The judges withhold the right to not award any or all prizes.
APPLICATION DEADLINE AND FEES
1. Applications and appropriate fees made payable to TnASTA.
2. Must be postmarked by November 15, 2018. No late entries will be accepted.
3. Applications fees are $50 for students of ASTA members (any chapter), $100 for students of non-ASTA members.
1. Piano accompaniment is required for any non-solo work.
2. A professional accompanist can be provided by ASTA for a fee of $75.00, which must be requested and paid for at the time of application. The accompanist will provide a pre-performance run-through.
20 minutes for Junior Division
30 minutes for Senior Division
University of Tennessee-Knoxville
Natalie L. Haslam Music Center
1741 Volunteer Blvd
Knoxville, TN, 37916
Saturday, December 15, 2018
Rehearsals with accompanists: 8 AM – 10 AM
Preliminary Round: 10 AM – 2 PM
Final Round: 4 PM – 7 PM
1. Junior division candidates can select any one work that best represents their ability.
a. Candidates will have a 10-minute time slot in which to perform during the preliminary round. Works will be performed in their entirety during the final round.
b. Performing works longer than 10 minutes do not count against the candidate. Judges reserve the right to ask the candidate to play any part of the work.
2. Senior division candidates must play 2 contrasting works.
a. One of the works must be a first or last movement from a standard classical or romantic concerto.
b. Selections from both works will be played during the preliminary round.
c. The final round will consist of the concerto movement performed in its entirety.
We are an organization committed to advocacy for education in the performance of violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, and harp.